YSIAC Conference 2015
The inaugural YSIAC Conference 2015 was held at Maxwell Chambers in Singapore on 4 June 2015. The Conference was a sell-out event, attracting an impressive turnout of about 200 delegates, of which 44% were from overseas, including the UK, USA, Australia, India, China, Indonesia, Korea, Japan and Hong Kong. Delegates included practising lawyers, arbitrators, in-house counsel, public sector officials, industry service providers and members of business associations.
The theme of the Conference was ‘The Dynamics & Challenges of International Arbitration – The Road Ahead’.
The Conference opened with a welcome address by Mr Lucien Wong, Chairman of SIAC’s Board of Directors. Opening remarks were also delivered by Guest of Honour Ms Indranee Rajah, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Law and Ministry of Education, and by Mr Gary Born, President of the SIAC Court of Arbitration.
This was followed by a Joint Q&A session with Ms Rajah and Mr Born, which was moderated by the Co-Chairs of the YSIAC Committee, Ms Koh Swee Yen and Mr Ankit Goyal. The session focussed on their views on the practice of international arbitration in Singapore, as well as personal experiences that have shaped their stellar careers.
The YSIAC Conference also featured the first ever YSIAC Conference Essay Competition, which received a total of 66 entries from 20 jurisdictions.
The YSIAC Conference 2015 would not have been possible without the support of our sponsors. SIAC & YSIAC would like to express their sincere thanks and gratitude to the following sponsors:
• Silver sponsors:
- King & Wood Mallesons
- Rajah & Tann
- Zhong Lun Law Firm
• Bronze sponsor - Schellenberg Wittmer
• Premier Corporate sponsor - Wolters Kluwer
• Essay Competition sponsor - Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
• Transcription Services sponsor - Planet Depos American Realtime
In addition, we would like to thank the following F&B and product sponsors:
• Clifford Chance - Gala Evening
• DLA Piper - Cocktail Event
• Jones Day - Networking Lunch
• Product sponsors:
- Braddell Brothers
- Clyde & Co Clasis Singapore
- King & Spalding
- Norton Rose Fulbright
We would also like to thank the following supporting organisations for their help in promoting the event:
• Association of Corporate Counsel Singapore (ACC)
• Asia-Pacific Forum for International Arbitration (AFIA)
• China Young Arbitration Group (CYAG)
• Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
• CIArb Malaysia Young Members Group
• Japan Association of Arbitrators (JAA)
• The Korean Council for International Arbitration (KOCIA)
• Ministry of Law Singapore
• National University of Singapore Faculty of Law (NUS Law)
• Singapore Academy of Law (SAL)
• Singapore Corporate Counsel Association (SCCA)
• Seoul International Dispute Resolution Centre (SIDRC)
• Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb)
• Singapore Management University (SMU)
• The Law Society of Singapore
Finally, we thank our media partners Global Arbitration Review (GAR) and Singapore Press Holdings. The YSIAC Conference will be held biannually. We look forward to seeing you at the next YSIAC event, details of which will be published on the SIAC website.